Psalm 118:24

"This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Knot Prayer -- A Lesson Relearned


Wow!  I came across a great prayer today.  It's just what I needed after the especially emotional and challenging week I had last week.  It was such an encouragement after a particular low point.  

Dear God,
Please untie the knots that are in my mind, my heart, and my life.
Remove the have nots, cannots, and do nots.
Erase the will nots, may nots, might nots that may find a home in my heart.
Release me from the could nots, would nots, should nots that obstruct my life..
And most of all, Dear God, I ask that you remove from my mind,
my heart, and my life all of the “am nots” that I have allowed to hold me back.
Especially the thought that I am not good enough.
Amen
- Unknown
I'd like to share with you what I've been re-learning lately.  Many of you may already know this, but I think we all need a reminder every once in awhile.

At this point in my life, my faith is growing, and being stretched each day.  I find myself in the Word much more often, wanting confirmation on a subject, or needing to know what the Bible says about certain issues or types of people.  And because of this, the devil is fighting even harder for me.  He doesn't want me to grow in my faith; and he especially doesn't want me to want to be closer to God.  So he's been whispering these doubts to me.  The words "I'm not good enough" are ones that scream in my head most.  I know I'm not the only one who hears these words. But ladies, we need to recognize those words for what they are -- lies.  Those words are not from God -- they are lies the devil whispers, or sometimes screams, at us.  We can't listen to these lies anymore!  The Bible says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." (John 10:10)  Jesus himself said these words!  And one way the devil destroys is by whispering these lies to us.  And we believe him so easily!  I believe this is why:

I was watching a really sad episode of the tv show Intervention last night.  The woman featured, a wife and mother, went into a downward, drug induced spiral, when her husband admitted he had feelings for another woman.  This woman had judged her self-worth and happiness by her marriage, and when her husband failed her, the devil stepped right in, confirming that she wasn't good enough to even make her husband happy.  She met someone else, someone who was heavily into drugs, and once again put her happiness and self-worth in him.  Now she's addicted to drugs, her marriage is over and the court has taken her kids away.  Is this the kind of life God has for us?  I think not.  Jeremiah 29:11 tells us that God has plans for us that include plans for 'welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.'  I couldn't even watch the rest of the program, because all I could think about was that she put her happiness and joy in the wrong place..  This is just one example, but there are so many.  But like John 10:10 says, Jesus came so we could have an abundant life in Him!  He doesn't want us to face the challenges this woman is now facing.  But her self-worth plummeted when her husband let her down.  Here's the thing, though: When we put our trust and faith in something other than Jesus, we're going to be let down.  Always.  The gauge of how happy or successful our life is can't be based on someone other than Jesus.  Think of it like a compass.  A compass always points North, so you know which direction to head in.  Jesus should always be our North, not anyone or anything else.  When Jesus is our North, we'll know which direction to take and always find our way.  Jesus will NEVER let us down.  He is truly all we need.  And know this: Jesus' love is unconditional.  He's never going to love you less because of something you've done.  So when the devil starts to whispers those ugly words again, we can be ready with the assurances that God has good things planned for our lives.  And He wouldn't do that if He didn't know we were worthwhile.  We are worth so worthwhile, that "He sent his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16) 

Let's take this idea of value a step further.  Ladies, I want you to know, and believe, right now, that God loves you.  And when Jesus gave His life on the cross, He was doing it for you.  And I highly doubt that God, the creater of the universe, would send His son to die a slow, painful, humilitating death on the cross, for someone who had no value.  Colossians 1:16 says, "For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him."  So we already know that we were created by God.  But have you ever thought about the fact that you were created for Him?  Think about it -- If we were created for God, what is our purpose?

We were created with a specific purpose - to glorify God.  1 Peter 4:11 says, "Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."  AMEN!  In addition, Colassians 3:17 says, " Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."  God should get the glory for everything we say and do.  People should know that we aren't maneuvering through this life on our own strength!  The glory belongs to the Lord.  (Also check out 1 Corinthians 10:31 for another scripture on this subject.)

You have value in the eyes of God.  He loves you no matter what.  He created you with a purpose, and has equipped you, or will equip you, with the knowledge and talents to do His will.  Keep your life compass on Jesus, and see the amazing things that He will do in your life.  So don't listen to the lies the devil tells you --  he wants to keep you from the full life God has planned for you!

Before I go for the night, I found this chart on Facebook a couple weeks ago.  I thought it was a great reminder about how God views you when your view of yourself isn't as pretty.  I hope they are an encouragement to you!


**All verses taken from the New American Standard Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment