Psalm 118:24

"This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

Thursday, February 9, 2012

30 Days of Thankful -- Day 4

"Give thanks to the God of gods.  His love endures forever."
Psalm 136:2


So how are you doing being thankful?  This has been a pretty eye opening experience for me so far.  I find that God is reminding me, convicting me, in the areas where I’m not as thankful.  Which leads to my next question.  Are there any categories that are easier, or more difficult, to fill out?  I’ll be honest, I find the first category, Personal, to be the most difficult one to fill out each day.  Don’t get me wrong, I am as selfish as the next person.  I am ashamed to admit it, but most times, my first thought is, “how is this going to affect me?”  But I’m learning that maybe I’m having a hard time, because this is an area in my life where I’m not as thankful.  I tried to make the excuse that I have poor self-esteem.  Then I tried to convince myself that I’m just humble.  But the truth is, I’m just not recognizing the fact that the way God made me (my personality traits and quirks) CAN be a blessing….if I allow it.  God made me just the way He wanted, but most times I find myself complaining because I’m too tall, or too fat, or not smart enough, or not organized, or an introvert.  I think maybe God is trying to make me understand that He created me to glorify Him, so I need to thank Him for giving me qualitites that I can use to glorfiy Him.  Then I need to find away to use these personal qualities to do just that.  

1.     Personal
I have a great sense of humor!  I love to make people laugh.  I’m not afraid to be silly, but I do need to be careful, because I do use humor as a defense mechanism, or to turn the focus of a situation away from myself.  I have also been known to incorporate quite a bit of sarcasm into my humor, which can lead to problems too.  But overall, I am thankful that God has given me the ability to make people laugh.

2.     Work/School (wherever you spend the majority of your day)
I’m thankful for the windows in my house this morning.  We got snow last night, and as I type, I can look out my dining room window and see the snow covering the trees and shrubs.  It’s so beautiful.  In the fall, I can look out another window to see the leaves changing colors in the mountains.  I can watch my kids play in the backyard from my kitchen window.  I can even use one of my windows to see who is at the door without them seeing me.  I’m finding myself a little self-conscious about this answer, but at this moment, it’s the truth.  I’m thankful for the windows that let me see the outside world, but say warm and protected inside my house.

3.     Church
Today I am thankful for my church friends.  You know who you are.  And I cherish each one of you.  I know that you accept me for who I am, quirks and all, and my life would not be the same without you.

4.     Family
I just need to say Happy Birthday to the world’s greatest Dad!  Today is my Dad’s birthday and it’s all about him.  For the second time this week, I’m thankful for my Dad.  Without him, I wouldn’t have been born!  But seriously, he’s a super guy.  He coached my softball team, taught me how to pitch, tried to teach me how to drive (no, I am not going to elaborate.  Lol), walked me down the aisle at my wedding and has always been supportive of my decisions.  And I love the fact that he was the first person to meet my Alexa (the baby) after she was born.  He was already at the hospital for an appointment – what great timing!  I’m planning a special birthday dinner for him on Saturday night.  I hope he likes what I’m planning. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!

Have a blessed day in the Lord!
~Heather~

No comments:

Post a Comment