Psalm 118:24

"This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

Friday, January 20, 2012

Dinosaur Birthday Cake

I guess I got into the habit of making my kid's birthday cakes a few years ago.  I wanted to see if I could do it, and if so, what I could come up with.  Let me tell you how much fun it is!  They get so excited when I finally call them out to look at their cake.  It's something I really enjoy!  Last year, when it came time to talk about birthdays, my son already knew what he wanted -- DINOSAURS!  My first thought???  "Oh my goodness, how in the world am I going to make a dinosaur cake?"  So of course, my first response is to head straight to GOOGLE. 

*Just a sidenote here but, how in the world did we live without the Internet and search engines?  It's like life without cell phones or GPS -- do you remember like before them?  It's sad to say, but I wouldn't dare go someplace I'd never been before without my GPS, but I can remember 9 years ago driving to visit my then-fiance, now-husband's parents...WITHOUT A GPS!  I had my trusty atlas, as well as a list of towns to look for, and I was fine.  Oh well, times change.

But I digress....so I googled dinosaur cakes and came up with this site.  It is great!  I just followed the simple video directions and made an awesome cake for my son's birthday party!  He was thrilled and the guested were super impressed :) 

This first group of pictures are the cake I made for him to take to pre-k as his birthday snack.

 I thought the little dinosaurs were a nice touch!  I used green easter grass that I had gotten on clearance at Walmart a few weeks before.  I just spread a thin layer of icing on the cutting board (again, I only use this cutting board for my cakes), then pressed the grass down lightly with my hands.  A little bit of icing on the bottoms of the dinosaurs made them stay nicely..plus made them easy to clean off so the kids in his class could take home a nice little treat!

This is the cake I made for the big day!  The birthday party!  The kids all loved it, as you can tell from the picture below.

Here's my son blowing out his birthday candle.  I still can't believe he's going to be 6 soon!  You can see that the cake isn't super huge, so I made cupcakes, iced them to look like grass and put a rubber dinosaur on top.


I like to think that I'm saving money when I make the cakes for their parties, so I'll keep making them until they don't want me to anymore....and even then, I'll probably still make them!

No comments:

Post a Comment