Psalm 118:24

"This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Jeremiah Moments

I am so blessed to be part of a bible study with some of the most amazing women I've ever had the privilege to know. We are different ages, come from all walks of life, yet we all realize that we have something special. I look forward to our weekly meetings. And even though I never know what to expect, I'm never disappointed, and always leave knowing that God met with us that night.
I'll be honest, this week I wasn't really sure what kind of discussion we were going to get out of the study. There didn't seem to be a lot of depth to it. And since I'm the one facilitating the study, it made me nervous that there wouldn't be a lot to talk about. Silly me. How little faith I have sometimes! We were there til after 9pm, and I left feeling so blessed by our discussion.
Part of the evening's assignment was to talk about our childhood. I loved hearing from each woman there. And even though our stories are different, there were still issues and emotions that were similar for all of us. But what was really special to me was the discussion of our scripture passage.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."
"Alas, Sovereign LORD," I said, I do not know how to speak; I am too young."
But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, 'I am too young.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you."
"Do not be afraid of them for I am with you and will rescue you," declare the Lord.
Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "I have put my words in your mouth."
Jeremiah 1:5-9
Wow! I have read this passage before, but it never was so convicting before. How many times have I felt like God wanted me to do or say something, but I've made excuses for why I couldn't, or shouldn't? Too many. Something occurred to me when I was reading this in preparation for this study: HE IS GOD! Every time I make an excuse to not do something He wants me to, I'm saying that I doubt Him. I don't have faith in him. Verse 5 says it all. Before I was born, God knew all about me. He knew my strengths and my many weaknesses. He created me for a purpose. I was set apart for something. So I do not have to be afraid when I feel burdened to do something for God. Anything I do will be with His power, not my own. And He will give me the words to speak when He wants me to speak them (v9).
What an amazing revelation! What an amazing truth! What an amazing promise! What an amazing love!
I'm having a lot of Jeremiah moments in my life these days. Times where God is taking me out of my comfort zone and I have no choice but to lean on Him. I am trying to keep a mental picture of God putting words in my mouth for every situation, because so often I feel so inadequate for the task at hand. But the truth is, I am inadequate. But I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Blessings,
Heather
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment